Care for your hair
For nourished hair that looks healthy and beautiful
Identify a Hair Condition
- HAIR FALL
What is Dry Hair?
Normal Hair contains around 15% moisture at 70% relative humidity.
A drop in this level of moisture leads to drying of hair. When hair is dry it tends to feel rough and unmanageable. Static is easily developed in the hair and it tends to break easily. Dry hair may also be more porous.
- Dry hair could be your hair type or could have developed due to environmental conditions.
- Dry hair is often the first sign of under nourished hair pointing to severe hair damage.
- Use of wrong / harsh products also triggers of dryness of hair.
- Excessive blow drying or frequent use of heat treatments could also leads to loss of hydration from hair.
Caring for your Dry Hair
- Nourish - nourish - nourish... Dry hair needs extra nourishment.
- Regular oiling is proven to have several benefits for Dry hair
- Be careful about the products you use
- Most importantly, you need to make sure you are eating well, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep because your hair reflects your health
What is damaged hair?
Damage to hair can occur in various ways either, due to loss of Vital Constituents like proteins & lipids, loss of cuticles or in severe cases even breakdown of hair structure.
The visual signs of damage include loss of hair shine, split ends, lack of volume and lightness with a tendency to 'fly away'. The tactile signs of damage include lack of softness and smoothness and such hair tends to break easily
Causes of damaged hair are primarily rooted in the type of hair care practices that you follow. Environmental factors can also add to the damage.
Most Common Causes of Hair damage are:
- Combing hair excessively leads to weakening of hair
- Combing of wet hair can fracture hair or give split ends
- Harsh washing products can damage the cuticle and dissolve natural lipids
- Frequent Chemical treatments involving heat / coloring etc. can cause cuticular damage
If you think that you have damaged hair , then you can measure its severity by taking the Hair Quality Index & find out ways to improve your hair
Caring for your damaged Hair
- Damaged hair needs extra care: Regular oiling is proven to have several benefits for Dry hair
- Be gentle with your hair. : Don't comb it too aggressively; use a wide tooth comb on wet hair
- Avoid usage of Hot hair Blowers or chemical treatments as much as you can
- Generally hair damage starts at the ends of hair, so it's advisable to trim your hair regularly
What is Dandruff?
Dandruff is an extremely common scalp condition affecting close to 50% of the world's population. It is characterized by fine, loosely adherent, white or gray flakes that occur either diffusely or in localized patches on the hair-bearing portions of the scalp and can often confused with Dry Scalp flaking.
- Fungal infection: Though there were different opinions from scientists on whether malesessia is a causal factor, sufficient evidence has now been generated to demonstrate that the fungus does play a role in causing dandruff
- Individual susceptibility: It has now been proven that individual sensitivity & hygiene also has a role to play in causing dandruff
- Excessive Sebum Production can lead to Dandruff.
Care for dandruff
- Ensure hair is clean and regularly washed with a special shampoo
- Coconut based hair oil is known to have anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties. Hence oiling with coconut based hair oils may help reduce the symptoms of dandruff.
- Using Special products like Parachute Anti-Dandruff oil or cream that have ingredients like lemon, neem and tea tree oil which have anti microbial/ anti-fungal properties would help to get relief from flaking and itching.
- In case of serious infections, special Anti-dandruff treatments may be required
What is Hair Fall?
Technically 'Hair fall' refers to a case wherein hair falls from the root, whereas hair breakage is when a strand breaks off due to any physical interaction.
Hair fall can be technically classified as
- Telogen effluvium (Hair Fall due to Hormonal Imbalance)
- Alopecia (balding)
- Anagen Effluvium (often caused due to a traumatic occurrence on the body)
- Trichotilomania (a psychological condition with an urge to pull out hair)
There can be several causes for both Hair fall and hair breakage, primary among them being:
- Stress, diet changes, Medical condition/ medications, hormonal changes eg: pregnancy,
- Harsh / chemical products usage, combing entangled hair, hard toweling and tying up hair too tightly
- Inadequate nourishment, Environmental damage & pollution also affect hair strength and health
If you think you have a hair fall problem, you can measure its severity using the Hair Fall Index and also discover what's causing your hair to fall using the Hair Fall Factors tool
Care for hair fall
- To reduce hair breakage, start by minimizing the 'torture on hair' - tie it loosely, use products that are mild and suit your hair, reduce frequency of heat treatments etc.
- Nourish your hair regularly with the use of special products like Parachute Therapie Hair Vitalizer(link to product page)that revitalizes hair roots and is guaranteed to reduce your hair fall
- In case of severe hair fall / balding, its advisable to consult a dermatologist
- Regular oiling ensures that Hair is well moisturized which makes combing easy. As a result of this, Hair breakage reduces